Thursday, May 1, 2008

They Shoot Horses Don't They?

Seems to me there is some sort of weird parallel between the discussion of which is worse - to sentence someone to the death penalty vs giving someone a life sentence and what my parents have experienced.

My Dad got the death penalty 5 years ago, dying of aspiration pneumonia. My mom got the life sentence and she spends a few hours every night banging on the windows of her apartment, screaming, trying to get the attention of someone walking by so she can warn them about The Man.

I just hope the stinkin' liberals don't tighten up the gun control laws before I get to that age, when I'll scan the gunshows looking for the End-of-Life Special - a handgun...and one bullet.

1 comment:

Michael P. Rellahan said...

I will forever remember the comment that an longtime friend of my mother's made after hearings that she had died of pneumonia, after suffering from Alzheimers for a number of months/years.

"Oh, pneumonia," said the woman, herself in the advanced stage of age. "The old people's friend."