Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Or maybe if I worked at it as hard as I've been thinking about it...

I've often thought of starting a website called aphorisms.com. It would be a compilation of aphorisms - truisms about the things in life we learn as we grow old. Not about life necessarily, but about practical things too. Like, the easiest example that everyone knows: What are the 3 things most important in determining the value of real estate - location, location, location. But there are many others having to do with so many things, of course none of them are currently popping into my head. They could have to do with sailing, cooking, drinking (wine before liquor, never sicker? I can never remember that one!)

But along those lines, I've heard two things in the past few days that probably fit into those categories that I just don't agree with. Something I've heard many, many times and was repeated by a friend on Sunday afternoon when we were giving relationship advice to some 20-something year olds: "Marriage takes a lot of hard work. You have to work hard at it every day." I immediately thought, but for once, didn't say, I don't work hard at my marriage! And then as I've thought about it more, I thought, Wait, does that mean I have a bad marriage? Or does the person who said that have a bad one? Does Cheryl work hard at it? And what does that say about me if she has to work hard at it? Does she wish I would work harder at my marriage?

So I asked her last night, and luckily, she agreed with me. Whew. But wait, could it be better if we did? Couldn't be any better from my standpoint, but how would I know if I don't try?

No comments: