Saturday, March 8, 2008

A weekend about...nothing

I did something last week that I don't remember doing since I got married, or since Cheryl and the kids moved in with me. And no, it's not that! Cheryl and I went away for the weekend, by ourselves, and we rarely left Audrey and Dave's cottage, except to go eat. So when we weren't, uh, you know, we did a lot of nothing. We read. We did...nothing. And specifically, what I did, that I haven't done since about August of 1998 is, while Cheryl was sleeping in the other room, I laid on the couch, and just stared at a wall and thought about...nothing. I didn't have kids climbing on me. I didn't feel guilt for not getting something done. i wasn't planning what I needed to accomplish by the end of the day. I wasn't thinking about problems at work. I wasn't thinking about politics or sports. I was just thinking about well, whatever popped into my head, some of which involved thinking about mom and how I need to spend more time with her before she's gone. But the cool thing is, I did that for a half hour or more and an hour or 3 later, when I told Cheryl about it, I couldn't think of just about anything I thought about except mom, and how cool it was that I had nothing I had to think about! I miss that...but I sure wouldn't trade my current life for it.

No comments: